John Cho, Kal Penn. Comedy. Written & directed by Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg – and maybe Jack Daniels.

FILM SYNOPSIS: The same morning that Harold and Kumar eat at White Castle, Harold learns that Maria, the girl he lusts after, has set off for Amsterdam. The pair decide to pursue her so Harold can proclaim his love. However, an overzealous airline passenger mistakes Kumar for a terrorist, and the plane is diverted as the duo get stuck in a case of mistaken identity.

PREVIEW REVIEW: I’m trying to find something new to say about this recent adolescent comedy. Let’s see, I’ve already used the following words and phrases to describe today’s direction in film comedy: crude, vulgar, exploitive, cheap, easy, irreverent, offensive, profane, stupid, inane and frat-mindedly base. Now, I could open my Roget’s Thesaurus, but I feel nearly as lazy as the filmmakers, so let’s just use the same words to describe this attempt at cashing in on slacker/stoner humor.

Though I hadn’t seen the first film, I was aware that it was about stoners. And knowing the sensibilities of today’s comic filmmakers, I knew this sequel wouldn’t be filled with the wit and wisdom of Noel Coward. But I had noooooo idea what I was getting myself into.

It’s not that there aren’t some laughs, or that the two stars don’t have comic chops. It’s just that since the main moments that brought laughter from the audience weren’t generated from scatological and anatomical activities, why base the entire film around them? Those visuals and vocals seemed to just bring moans or startled reactions (“I can’t believe I just saw that”). Again, I ask, why rely so heavily upon gross-out gags? Because there is an audience for such amusement. While most “stoner” movies don’t do all that well at the box office, they often generate big revenue once put on DVD. Could this possibly be because real-life stoners enjoy these movies best when they themselves are home alone, partaking of forbidden substances? Nah, no one would do that. That would be illegal.

Please read the attached reasons for the rating. Though I normally attempt to be discreet with my content descriptions, I’ll be rather graphic here in order to let you understand just how far these filmmakers are willing to push the envelope of bad taste.

Though my description of the film’s nudity may be enticing to adolescents (of all ages) I would hope they would keep this in mind. The media is bombarding you with sexual images. Indeed, it’s difficult to avoid all the sexual imagery in our culture. Aren’t you feeling manipulated by moviemakers? You should be. These films aim at our baser instincts. They are ultimately unfulfilling and merely aid in setting back social behavior. Keep in mind, whenever we try to avoid temptations and self-gratification at the expense of others, it honors God, the opposite sex and ultimately that one special person destined for your life. I know, that sounds corny. What’s right often does.

Distributor: Warner Bros

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home